A salad is a dish consisting of small pieces of food, which may be mixed with a sauce or salad dressing. Salads can incorporate a wide variety of foods including vegetables, fruits, and cooked meat, eggs, and grains. Garden salads use a base of leafy greens; they are common enough that the word salad alone often refers specifically to garden salads. Other types include bean salad, tuna salad, fattoush, Greek salad, and somen salad.
The sauce used to a flavor a salad is commonly called a salad dressing; well-known types include ranch, Thousand Island, and vinaigrette.
Most salads are served cold, although some, such as south German potato salad, are served warm. Some consider the warmth of a dish a factor that excludes it from the salad category calling the warm mixture a casserole, a sandwich topping or more specifically, name it for the ingredients which comprise it.
Salads may be served at any point during a meal, such as:
- Appetizer salads, light salads to stimulate the appetite as the first course of the meal.
Side salads, to accompany the main course as a side dish.
- Main course salads, usually containing a portion of heartier fare, such as chicken breast or slices of beef.
- Dessert salads, sweet versions often containing fruit, gelatin and/or whipped cream.
I love to eat salad. I usually eat one for lunch. With all of the combinations of veggies, fruits, greens, and seeds, we can have a different salad everyday of the month.
I want to know what your favorite salad is?
Right now my favorite salad is a chicken and apple salad.
- 1 bag of sweet butter lettuce
- 4 – 6 oz grilled chicken seasoned with applewood rub
- 1 granny smith apple chopped.
- 1 plump tomato
- 2 Tbsp creamy poppy-seed dressing.
So tell me what is your favorite salad. I would like to post 30 different salads for the month!