March is National Nutrition Month!
The 2016 National Nutrition Month theme, “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right,” encourages you to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the pleasures, great flavors and social experiences that food can add to life.
Here are a few ways to “Savor the Flavor”.
a few ways you can “Savor the Flavor of Eating Right” this National Nutrition Month:
- Enjoy Food Traditions and Social Experiences: There is an obvious social component to food. Whether it’s a nightly family dinner, a special occasion or social gathering, food often plays a central role. Enjoy the food at these gatherings while also taking time to appreciate the company around you.
- Research indicates that family meals promote healthier eating and strengthens family relationships.
- Appreciate Foods’ Pleasures and Flavors: Take time to appreciate the flavors, textures and overall eating experience. In today’s busy world, we often eat quickly and mindlessly. Instead, savor your food, eating slowly one bite at a time to focus on the different flavors and textures. Stop and take time in between bites
- Eating slowly not only allows you to enjoy your food, but it also can help you eat less by giving your stomach time to tell your brain you are full.
- Develop a Mindful Eating Pattern: How, when, why and where you eat, are just as important as what you eat. Think about where you eat the majority of your meals. Do you eat lunch at your desk or dinner in front of the television?
- Instead of multitasking through meals, take a few minutes out of your busy schedule to find a nice place to mindfully eat.
- Consult a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist: A healthy lifestyle is much more than choosing to eat more fruits and vegetables. It’s also essential to make informed food choices based on your individual health and nutrient needs.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics spokesperson, Kristen Gradney.