Children use their imagination for creativity. Adults use their imagination for worry.
I think we can get stressed out over everything, and if we don’t have anything to stress about, we will make something up.
As adults, we can really stress out about something and make it so big and terrible in our minds that when the time comes around to face the stressing situation, the situation ends up not being as bad as we had imagined. Getting stressed out about the “it” ends up being for nothing.
We can make ourselves physically ill by dwelling on things. Stressful thinking can over take our minds and cause us to have a really crappy day, treat people crappy, and then I think the thoughts we have end up being all about me, me, me, me, me. Do you know what I mean?
This is a great video I found about stress. Watch it and enjoy. I know I picked up a few forgotten tips on handling stress.
I think the best thing you can do for yourself when you are stressed is:
- Take a break from the situation. Go for a walk. Go splash cold water on your face. Get a nice cold bottle of water and take long sips.
- If you are stressed out at work, try not to take it home with you. If you do and you need to share it with your spouse, make it quick and don’t dwell on it.
- At the end of the day go for a walk to unwind.
- Treat yourself to a bubble bath or nice hot shower to wash the stress away.
- When you are ready for sleep use a resource like this one to help you sleep and keep you sleeping through the night: Simply Rain
What gets you stressed and how do you deal with it?