Making two different plans to handle stress.
- Routine maintenance: Develop positive coping skills, such as meditation and visualization, and look for activities, such as yoga or exercise, to keep your baseline stress level in check.
- Breakthrough stress: Find ways to handle stressful situations that flare up without warning. For instance, after a stressful meeting at work, you might run up and down the stairs a few times to burn off anger, or retreat to a bathroom stall to take a few deep breaths and refocus.
Four more stress management tips that you can start using immediately:
- Check your perspective. Ask yourself, “Will this matter to me a year from now?” If not, why are you getting so wound up?
- Volunteer. Helping to meet other peoples’ needs may make your own problems seem smaller.
- Keep a gratitude journal. Write down the positive people, events, and things that you’re thankful for.
- Breathe. Just breathe. Slowly inhale and then slowly exhale. You’ll be surprised at how easy that is and what a difference it makes!